The Anticipation is Killing Me!

Okay! So if you're following my journey, we should establish a few basic "About Me" Facts:

1. 95% of my brain energy is spent converting events in my life into song lyrics (mostly musicals).

2. Avocados are my #1 favorite food. 
I love them so much, my sister got me one for Christmas last year.
And made me reenact this video.


3. I love working out & eating. 
Not simultaneously, but definitely in equal amounts ...

--

Pedestal Opportunity #1
I don't use working out as a way to "negate" calories that I've consumed. I think eating great food makes life more awesome. Likewise, working out is not a punishment, it's a privilege. Finding a way to move that makes you feel good about yourself also makes life more awesome.

In general, I'm all about life being more awesome as much as possible. Let's continue ...

--

4. Blue is my favorite color. 
It's also the color of my birthstone, which is a sapphire. Any September Virgo buddies out there?

5. And ... I am REALLY bad at relaxing. 

#5 is the reason we're here. HINT: That's why I saved it for last ... and underlined it.

Tomorrow is my First Day of School. Yep. I'm 29, & tomorrow I'm going back to school.
#adulting

I am ridiculously excited for several reasons that we will delve into in other blog posts, but I am also grateful for something to DO.

Over the past week & a half, I have been able to focus on reacquainting myself with a city I love, catch up with friends I never get to see or talk to, and practice some self-care techniques that I would normally shove under the rug. But I'm trying to get better about that, so ...

- I've read books (my apologies to the people on the MegaBus from New York --> Boston on NYE - I definitely laughed out loud AND cried multiple times while reading "A Man Called Ove").
- I've taken long showers. 
- I've journaled & written some songs/poems. (No, you will never see them.)
- I've even had dance parties in my room!

But, oh my goodness, my feet are itching for something to do. To work. To achieve. To learn.

To ANYTHING.

** Does anyone else have this problem? **
You're blessed with an opportunity to do something for yourself or you have vacation or time off? And instead the unstructured free time feels like a burden, so you fill that beautifully empty space with To-Do Lists.

I don't know how to immediately correct this, so for now, I married the two ideas: I made a Nothing To-Do List. This is a list of things that don't do anything other than bring me comfort, peace, and happiness. Then Saturday, while I was stuck waiting for a package that never came from USPS (typical NYC mail ... it's fine), I had the PERFECT opportunity to force myself into doing a whole bunch of nothing.



(6. I LOVE making lists. My mom always did this growing up, and I hated it. Now I totally get the satisfaction of checking things off. Love you, mom!)

In case you want to utilize these for yourself if you feel so inclined, here's the gist:

- Cook all my meals
- Workout (Full disclosure: I didn't do this one ...)
- Write
- Turn off electronics for at least an hour
- Clean my room (yes, this makes me feel better!)
- Go for a walk

Yes, there are some activities on there like "Laundry" and "Reserve books for school," but I'm a firm believer in BALANCE, not elimination. So the fact that I spent a majority of my day doing things from my Nothing List and my actual To-Do List is a big win in my book.

Making a Nothing To-Do List not only helped me stay accountable to relaxing, it also helped me feel accomplished. So my big day of "nothing," felt like something. Which leads me to ...

--

Pedestal Opp. #2
One of my big pet peeves is when someone I know (and yes, I do this, too) says, "Ugh - I've been so lazy today." Then proceeds to say the things they've done. Then, just because those activities don't pertain to work or other people in their family, it's as if the entire day was lost. 

I disagree. 

Taking time for yourself is critical to avoid burnout. Give yourself time to recover. Sleep in. Get yourself a manicure. Re-watch "Die Hard" for the 200th time (not consecutively please ...). But seriously, let's get okay with letting ourselves relax. And let's STOP calling relaxation "laziness." Give this necessary and rejuvenating activity the attention and respect it deserves.

--

So yes, I am eagerly anticipating having something to do tomorrow. I can't wait to get back to work & start giving everything I have to making 2018 a success. But perhaps part of the reason I'm so eager and ready is because I've allowed myself to simply be for a time. 

This Weekend's Takeaway: Even when the anticipation is killing me, seek to stay present and enjoy the waiting.

If you're like me, and this mantra isn't as easy at it seems, here's something to tide you over:
(Remember #1 on my list? I tried warning you ...)
Here's a link to my current favorite dance jam. Now go have a dance party in your room. 




Love always,

Margot


Comments

Popular Posts